I’ve always found checklists handy, and this one is no exception. If you think I’ve left something out, let me know so I can add it. Feel free to print this and share.
(and do this before you pay anyone to do any work on your book or you’ll waste a lot of money)
- Finish book and promise to change nothing.
- Finalize title and subtitle.
To get interior ready
- Editing – round #1: review all edits; round #2 for punctuation
- Bio – long (100 words)
- Head shot – 300 dpi
- Choose your book formatting designer.
- Choose cover photo or art.
- Choose your book cover designer.
- Jacket copy – goes on the back cover to hook people into buying the book
- Bio – short (50 words)
- ISBN x 2 and barcode (for both print and eBook)
- An imprint logo for the back and spine – if you buy your own ISBNs
- Endorsements x at least 2 (for first page and back cover)
- Digital check online
- Order proof copies.
- Final proof – can be done by nitpicky friends, but I recommend a proofreader too.
- Kindle, ePub, and Smashwords typesetting
- Amazon KDP account (if going exclusively through Amazon KDP)
- Smashwords account (makes your eBook available for download to all eReaders)
- Book blurb/description for Amazon sales page
- Amazon author page
- Friends ready to write reviews on Amazon
- Choose launch date.
- Set up book for preorders.
- Set up preorder campaign.
- Set up book signing potluck within your local community.
- Bulk order for conferences at least 3 weeks in advance and mail straight to event center.