I've always found checklists handy, and this one for self-publishing is no exception. If you think I've left something out, let me know so I can add it. Feel free to print this and share.
(and do this before you pay anyone to do any work on your book or you'll waste a lot of money)
- Finish book and promise to change nothing.
- Finalize title and subtitle.
To get interior ready
- Choose cover photo or art.
- Choose your book cover designer.
- Jacket copy – goes on the back cover to hook people into buying the book
- Bio – short (50 words)
- ISBN x 2 and barcode (for both print and eBook)
- An imprint logo for the back and spine – if you buy your own ISBNs
- Endorsements x at least 2, if you have them (for first page and back cover)
- Digital check online
- Order proof copies
- Final proof – can be done by nitpicky friends, but I strongly recommend a proofreader too
- Book blurb/description for Amazon sales page
- Amazon author page
- Friends ready to write reviews on Amazon
- Choose launch date
- Set up book for preorders - only possible with Ingram Spark, not KDP
- Set up preorder campaign
- Set up book signings
- Bulk order for your book launch, conferences, and workshops at least 3 weeks in advance and mail straight to event center.