I've always found checklists handy, and this one for self-publishing is no exception. If you think I've left something out, let me know so I can add it. Feel free to print this and share.
(and do this before you pay anyone to do any work on your book or you'll waste a lot of money)
- Finish book and promise to change nothing.
- Finalize title and subtitle.
To get interior ready
- Choose cover photo or art.
- Choose your book cover designer.
- Jacket copy – goes on the back cover to hook people into buying the book
- Bio – short (50 words)
- ISBN x 2 and barcode (for both print and eBook)
- An imprint logo for the back and spine – if you buy your own ISBNs
- Endorsements x at least 2, if you have them (for first page and back cover)
- Digital check online
- Order proof copies
- Final proof – can be done by nitpicky friends, but I strongly recommend a proofreader too
- Book blurb/description for Amazon sales page
- Amazon author page
- Friends ready to write reviews on Amazon
- Choose launch date
- Set up book for preorders - only possible with Ingram Spark, not KDP
- Set up preorder campaign
- Set up book signings
- Bulk order for your book launch, conferences, and workshops at least 3 weeks in advance and mail straight to event center.
To get an idea of how much to expect to pay in the US for editing, layout, and cover design, check out our Cost to Self-Publish a Book Calculator.
We wish you all the best in your publishing journey.